Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Pretty Summer Playlist: Season 1

So, with my OnTheGo reviews, which will cover Eps, playlist and short projects I feel are significant to the culture. With my first piece I will cover “Pretty Summer Playlist: Season 1. I love Saweetie’s rapper presences because I never know what to expect from her. From my experience when she’s on a track I’m always shocked that she can rap the way she does. It’s like when I hear Dreezy or Jack Harlow I always have to double-take/play their again songs even if it’s just a feature. I believe they have very distinctive voices that separate them from the rest of the new rappers they’re classed with.
First up is Saweetie’s “Pretty Summer Playlist: Season1. I hope we get a female posse cut from this series, Saweetie has put together. This project dropped on April 16th and it took away from the talk about her relationship with Quavo of Migo’s being over.
“How you figure, I ain’t the woman that you thought // You was humpin’ thots, f**kin’ narcissist you just mad you got caught”.(See-Saw Feat Kendra Jae)
That bar is a jab at Quavo after some comments he made on Twitter once the split-up was announced. This LA rapper Saweetie released 7 tracks of something that will keep the pretty girl summer satisfied.
The first song features DrakeO The Ruler who just finished his long-awaited stint in prison, and DrakeO has been on his takeover shit since he was released. This song shows you why her rap pen should be respected with bars like

“I’m Mrs. Untouchable, I’m like a Lunchablе, Play like it’s all fun and games ’til I’m done with you, Somеone approachable, I’m unfuckwittable, Bitches is all talk, this ain’t no interview”.
The pen of the female rap era we are in is impressive. The following song is “Baby Mama Coochie” by BbyAfrika featuring Saweetie. If I’m filling this album correctly it seems to be Saweetie’s version of the artist she has signed or just wants to showcase with her imprint. This song is nothing short of what the title is about, a baby momma with some fire WAP pretty much. BbyAfrika and Saweetie layer some slick talkin bad bitch bars if that is politically okay to say. I felt like I was listening to artists who are inspired by Foxy and Kim heavily. Saweetie sure did pick a great set of artists to create a great playlist project to surround herself with. We have “See-Saw” after that which is just Kendra Jae harmonizing her beautiful voice all over this great track. I appreciate a nice and some good R&B toxicity as I get older. So this song happens to be my favorite. Follow up song is an ode to Soulja boy’s “Pretty Boy Swag” which is respectable because she put her pretty girl swag on it and she gave us
“You got a finsta bitch, you be lurkin’,
Prettiest out here, that shit for certain, Never met a boss like me, no Winner with the game, no cheat codes, Wrist so cold, need a peacoat, Ballin’ on a ho, that’s a free throw” (Pretty & Rich)
Back Seat” Feat Loudiz is probably my least favorite song on the project just not for me but I’m sure women will love it that love Saweetie. It seems like she kept it true to her city and featured California artists only. Next, we have “Talkin’ Bout” which isn’t for me either, and if I’m listening to it right, it sounds like it used some SouljaBoy music as well. The very last song she gave us “Sweat Check” is a very Hot Girl/Pretty Girl Turn Up Summer Music and I love seeing women having this much fun with music. Meg and Saweetie are what a lot of people wanted for Nicki & Cardi but with a New Yorker’s ego and label madness mixed in, it got in the way. Saweetie and her team did a great job with this project. Check out her music on YouTube where it’s a visual album but it’s a yearbook with all the artist pictures. 2/5 this is a short project so it is a little harder to judge on an album scale but I’m not part of her core audience just a fan of the culture.



source https://westcoaststyles.com/reviews/2021/04/pretty-summer-playlist-season-1/

No comments:

Post a Comment

WCS A&R Spotlight; On the come up, Lj Savvy drops a new visual “TSFIL” looks to kick off Savvy Summer

Pomona native Lj Savvy has been crafting a sound a bit different from what is popular today. The multi-talented musician, engineer, artist...